Monday, October 31, 2011

Bagels


Last week I made bagels with two of my boys. They had a blast working the dough and then eating their creation. I have never been much of a baker myself but this was a blast. I have learned how to make all kinds of creations from scratch. I have an Indian food recipe that I make and we love it. There is also a shrimp pineapple dish that tastes like Zab Thai!

Aside from cooking I have been trying to see what my place here is? There are so many needs that my usual rule of seeing the need means I should do something about it can not apply. I came here thinking that I was suppose to start a mentoring ministry that focused on young children and tried to have adults stick with them for a few years. Now I am thinking that that dream while it sounds good it just won't happen here. There are not enough healthy adults to start a real program. So where does that leave me...

I have a relationship with Yuli who is about to have a baby. She is 18 and figuring out life. I have a young boy who is 14 that has stolen my heart. I have friends who are leaders in the church. My closest friend from when I was in the internship here has moved back to the barrio and she is seeking God. These people will be my mission. I will love them and try to empower them to be the change they want to see in their community. TEARS is a relational focused ministry. We purposely do not engage in programs, I will not tie myself to a program. If the door opens for an official mentorship I will be very excited but I will not force it.

I am also committed to helping TEARS become more financially stable. I have never been an official fundraiser until now but I believe in this ministry and hope I am able to communicate the vision, mission, and impact TEARS is having on the community here in La Vega, Dominican Republic and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. My prayer in recent years has become, "Lord, show me what is mine to do and free me from that which is not." I also think I need to solve everyone's problems and meet every need. It's not practical and results in soul fatigue, nor do I believe God calls us to that. We each have a purpose and a mission, we just have to be open to that calling and believe there are others who are called to do the work we are not.

    ReplyDelete