Tuesday, October 18, 2011

feeding the 5000


My friend Laura is staying with me which means that we have a small following of children around most of the time. This is normal and had started before she came but the frequency has grown. Sometimes it feels like we are feeding the 5000.

One of the boys that I feel an extra connection to comes from the poorest part of our barrio. He has 4 sisters and often times misses meals in his house. Yesterday he came by at 11:45. I was hungry and asked him where he was going to eat lunch and his response was a shrug of the shoulder. I think of James chapter 2 where it says,

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him "Go I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action , is dead."

Now I know that this verse is not telling me that I have to feed every person who is hungry but rather is talking about faith. But the metaphor is used because it was generally accepted that we should care for our brothers and sisters in Christ. That all should give so that none would have to go without. From my abundance I should give to those who are lacking. Caring for my brothers and sisters in Christ. So back to this child...

He has learned to go visit people around meal time in hopes of receiving some food. His family is unable to provide for his needs. There are so many children like this here and I can not feed them all. But this one child... This one child of God I can feed. From my abundance I will care for him. So yesterday we fed him some left over egg salad sandwich and yogurt. You may say you love with your words... I will show you that I love by my actions.

1 comment:

  1. One of the most poignant memories I have of God talking to me was while reading the story of the woman who poured perfume on Jesus' feet and dried them with her hair. Everyone was horrified, but Jesus said, "She did all that she could do." Whenever I feel overwhelmed by the needs of those around me I do what I can do and remember that it is enough. The rest of the time I have to pray, "Lord, show me what is mine to do."

    ReplyDelete