Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bagels part 2


Today is my second time making bagels with the two boys, Junior and Goneno. Junior has such a natural talent for baking it is impressive. I am looking into helping him to start baking and selling bagels. We have a friend who used to sell donuts and he is going to help us figure out if it is a viable business here or not. Junior is 14 and needs to start contributing financially to his family. It sounds like a lot of pressure to me but it is the reality of life here in the barrio. school is only a half day and if teenagers are not working for the good of the family they generally are starting to get into trouble with drinking and alcohol. I pray that bagels could be the simple thing that changes Juniors life, although I know that it will take much much more. Perhaps he will decide to open a paneria (bakery) or will make a contact that will open the door to better work. For now I will teach him how to manage his money with what we can bring in selling donuts. I will teach him how to set prices buy in bulk, manage time and how to sell. All skill that will help him in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. I will pray this venture becomes something he can stick with longterm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Stuff Kisha. What seems like seems like baby steps can become giant leaps in someone's life. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete