Monday, September 19, 2011

For Reals



Ladies and gentlemen, here's one that I'm sure all the women who read this blog can agree with. There are really parking spaces reserved for pregnant ladies here in the DR... in more than one location! I mention this because some things are just plain different down here, and some are more comical than others. I'm adjusting to pizza with corn on top, burritos with mayo and ketchup, and an overall lack of culinary variety.

Lately I've been missing all my friends from Portland/The Beav. We've managed to stay pretty close to the folks via computer and email, but I don't get much time with the homies. I haven't been of Facebook as much as I like, and I think it means that I work too hard. Kisha saw me getting crazy last week, and took me up to the mountains for a hike. It was good times in the trees, which is apparently something I need. This past weekend we found a river that we can walk to and some hills to practice on so that we can climb Pico Duarte next year. But the trees wont tell bad jokes like Bryan, talk incessantly about gross stuff at the supper table, or wear hiking boots places that hiking boots just shouldn't be worn (I can't believe I miss being embarrassed by Bently's lack of fasion sense!). I would like any one of those three things right now!

Okay, enough sap, I suppose. I missed teaching a lot. I really like being back in the classroom again. These students are VERY different from my previous batch of rabble-rousers, but they're starting to grow on me. There are a few that I'd like to shellac, but aren't there always at least a handful? A good shellacking would be just the thing, I think :0) One thing is for sure, I can't have them run around the building as punishment down here. First of all, there's a security fence with razor wire, and I'm just not sure they could orbit the building without bleeding. Then there's the potential heat exhaustion that comes from physical activity in the Caribbean. I'll have to invent new ways! Please pray for my students :0)

5 comments:

  1. After reading your post last week about the catsup and mayo on burritos, I tried it on tostitos. It was ok, but I liked it better with a dash of hot sauce. I presume you are teaching in Spanish? That must be challenging at times.
    I went to observe 9-11 in the park with your folks - kind of interesting - glad I did that. ttyl Ruth Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. corn on pizza? I'm sorry, but I can probably never come visit. :) How's the coffee comin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nike, those aren't burritos. Sorry you've been deceived all this time! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, I'm teaching at the only American school in our area, so my whole day is in English. Then I step outside the security gate to the real world where everyone looks puzzled while I try to speak Spanish with them. Good times!

    ReplyDelete