Thursday, April 12, 2012

James... James Bond


Let me introduce you to a new friend of mine...

There is a Canadian team here from Calgery. They are froming a relationship with our Haitian pastor so we have spent our time in the Soto Barrio. On our first day there a young man was talking to one of the team members and I helped translate. He introduced himself as James.

James is 20 years old has been learning Spanish for a year so we were communicating in both of ours second language. James requested any materials I might have to help him learn English. Since I had some books that could help the next day I brought them to the church and gave them to the associate pastor. Manuel did not know who James is. Now that made me wonder. So I took Manuel to the window and pointed at him. "OHHHHH Congo!" Alright so now I have a new name that the community will know Congo... not that unusual here as everyone has a street name and their proper name.

In the after noon we are sitting in a circle and I am translating for the team. Now here comes James--I mean Congo. When some of the team greets him by saying Hi James! A Dominican who is with us says, "his name is not James it's Tony!" Wait a second, hey Congo why did you tell me your name was James... He giggles as the Dominican says "He wants to be James Bond"

So meet Tony, Congo, James Bond...

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part is that Congo has a super high-pitched voice, and every time Kisha tells this story it cracks her up to imitate him :0)

    ReplyDelete